Having decided to make 2022 the last year for their cutting-edge electrified NSX Hybrid supercar, Acura has raised its already impressive performance to make it the quickest, most powerful and best handling production NSX ever. In celebration of its final year, 350 Type S models will be built, with 300 of them going to U.S customers.
The 2-door coupe hybrid is instantly recognizable from its distinctive front and rear styling, along with enhanced aerodynamics which include its GT-3 style rear diffuser. For those with the means, the NSX represents a touchstone of precision crafted performance and innovation, built with world-first technologies and unique manufacturing processes.
With an EPA-estimated MPG of 21/22/22 city/highway/combined, this is not a hybrid that will save you money. But for consumers who can afford owning one, fuel economy is simply not the point. This car is about performance. Period!
There is only one model: NSX Type S (MSRP: $171,495). It deceiphered moniker means: “New Sports eXperience.”
2022 Acura NSX Type S important facts:
• Most powerful and quickest road-going Acura ever with 600 hp (+27) and 492 lb.-ft. of torque (+16)
• Laps Suzuka Circuit in Japan 2-seconds faster than the 2021 NSX
• Powertrain upgrades include turbochargers shared with the NSX GT3 Evo race car, a 6 percent increase in boost pressure, 20 percent greater battery capacity and 10 percent higher battery output
• Retuned 9-speed DCT features 50 percent faster upshift response and new Rapid Downshift Mode
• Revolutionary torque-vectoring Sport Hybrid SH-AWD retuned to maximize performance
• New split 5-spoke wheels increase track front (+0.4-in.) and rear (+0.8-in.)
• New Pirelli P-Zero specifically developed for NSX Type S utilizing advanced modeling technology (includes “H0” designation on sidewall)
• New exterior design and aerodynamics for increased engine cooling
• Enhanced aerodynamics includes aggressive carbon fiber NSX GT3--inspired rear diffuser
• Standard Carbon Fiber roof lowers center of gravity for improved handling
• Available Lightweight Package includes carbon ceramic brakes in one of four colors, carbon engine cover, carbon interior trim, reduces total curb weight by approximately 57.8 lbs. (26.2 kg)
• New Gotham Gray matte metallic paint presents an even more sinister appearance for the NSX Type S and is limited to just 70 of the 350 production total globally
• NSX Type S cockpit enhanced with Alcantara headliner, embroidered Type S logo on the glove compartment, embossed NSX logo on the headrests, and contrast stitching
Concerning the additional power, torque and provided to the final NSX model, Acura says: “With a combination of a high-output twin-turbo V6 and torque-vectoring Sport Hybrid SH-AWD three-motor hybrid system, the second generation NSX drivetrain has been groundbreaking since the supercar launched in 2016. Enhanced for the new NSX Type S, it produces the highest combined output of any drivetrain in any road-going Acura ever, with a combined system output of 600 horsepower and 492 lb.-ft. of torque.”
Acura: “Hand-built in a special facility at the Anna Engine Plant in Ohio, the supercar’s exclusive twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter 75-degree V6 engine is enhanced with new fuel injectors (providing a 25 percent higher flow rate), new intercoolers (capable of dissipating an additional 15 percent more heat), and new turbochargers shared with the NSX GT3 Evo (delivering a 5.6 percent increase peak boost pressure from 15.2 to 16.1 psi.). The result is an increase in engine output from 500 hp to 520 hp and 406 lb.-ft. of torque to 443 lb.-ft.”
Acura: “The gear ratio for the Twin Motor Unit (TMU) that powers the front wheels and provides active torque vectoring in corners has been lowered to 10.382:1 from 8.050:1. This 20 percent lower ratio increases off-the-line torque, giving NSX a powerful launch.”
The NXS Hybrid supercar’s infotainment sysytem includes:
• 7-Inch Display Audio with High-Resolution WVGA (800x480) Electrostatic Touch-Screen and Customizable Feature Settings
• Standard Audio system: ELS Studio 32 Premium Audio System: with 9 speakers, including subwoofer
• Bluetooth HandsFreeLink
• Bluetooth Streaming Audio
• MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack
• USB Audio Interface
• 2 USB ports in car (In glove box) 1.0 Amp charge capability & USB connection without Apple CarPlay51 & Android Auto connectivity (In console box) 1.5 Amp charge capability & USB connection with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto connectivity
• AcuraLink Connected Services
• SMS Text Message Function
• SiriusXM Radio (Optional)
• Pandora Compatibility
• Acura Satellite-Linked Navigation System with Voice Recognition and Honda HD Digital Traffic
Acura provides some of the most comprehensive coverage in the segment. While Porsche, BMW and Audi offer four-year or 50,000-mile limited warranties, none provide as much powertrain coverage as Acura. The NSX's sophisticated hybrid-electric components are covered for eight years or 100,000 miles.
While continuing to honor its lineage with meticulous engineering and striking design, the NSX Type S pushes the boundaries of possibility with more power and more sound for a more adrenaline-fueled drive. Those who can afford this hybrid are in for a truly unique experience!
WRITTEN DECEMBER 2022
There are currently 4 primary incentives available to the California consumer that substantially lower the cost of buying or leasing an EV. CURRENT provides all the guidance or assistance you may need to apply for these incentives.