Acura started sales in the USA of its RLX full-size hybrid luxury sedan in September 2014. It was updated in 2018 with Acura's new “design language” featuring a diamond pentagon grille, resigned front and rear fascias, redesigned LED tail lights, LED head lights, a new wheel design, a redesigned hood, and chrome exhaust finishers. Changes to the interior include a new front seat design, steering wheel, wood trim, and an added Espresso interior color option. These remain the same for the 2019 model.
The 2019 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid 4-door sedan comes with an aluminum alloy Direct Injection 3.5L i-VTEC engine which works with 3 electric motors. The combined system provides 377 horsepower and 341lb-ft torque. The vehicle has received a 28/29/28 city/highway/combined MPG rating from the EPA. It has a total range of 423 miles.
A lithium-ion battery powers the three motors. When the vehicle is decelerating, the motors charge the battery.
There is one trim. You can select it with the Technology package for $54,900 MSRP, or with the Advance package for $61,900 MSRP.
Like the MDX and NSX, the 2019 RLX Sport Hybrid comes with Acura’s excellent SH-AWD (Super Handling All Wheel Drive), which has the ability to direct engine power from the front to rear and side to side. Its rear electric motors, one for each wheel, are a major advancement in what the industry refers to as a leading-edge handling system.
The RLX Hybrid cabin is impressively spacious, the result of smart and efficient interior design. Cargo volume is 14.9 cubic feet. The car’s exterior uses a signature Acura Diamond Pentagon Grille, LED taillights, and an exposed dual exhaust with a gloss black rear diffuser to make a sport statement. Premium paint finishes balance the car’s sport and luxury looks.
Standard on the Sport Hybrid is its Head-Up Display, which allows drivers to view speedometer readings, power distribution, warnings and other key vehicle info as translucent images projected onto the lower windshield.
Also standard are:
• AcuraWatch – a suite of class-leading safety and driver assistive technologies which include: a Collision Mitigation Braking System, Road Departure Mitigation, Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist and Traffic Jam Assist.
• A Surround-View Camera which gives drivers the ability to see way more with six camera angles, detecting potential obstacles.
• GPS-Linked Tri-Zone Climate Control – a solar sensing system which measures the sun’s intensity and allows the driver and front and rear passengers adjust cabin temperature settings.
• On Demand Multi-Use Display – an intuitive 7-inch wide touchscreen that combines and simplifies the car’s controls into 9 easy-to-use buttons for audio, climate, phone, navigation, etc.
• Electronic Gear Selector – Intuitive gear selection operation uses push buttons for Drive, Natural and Park, and pull-levers for Reverse and Parking Brake.
• AcuraLink Satellite Communication – among the suite of services included, you can sent a point of interest directly from your smartphone (or home computer) to the RLX navigation system as a ready-to-use route.
Exterior features include: a Power Moonroof, Jewel Eye LED headlights, LED-Illuminated Taillights, Brake Lights, Side Mirror-Integrated Directional Signals, a Rear License and Center High Mount Stop Light, Power-folding side mirrors, LED-Illuminated door handles, and an Acoustic Glass Windshield.
Interior features include: the Acura Navigation System with 3D View, Heated Front 12-Way Power Seats with 4-Way Power Lumbar Support, Electric Air Conditioning with Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control with Air Quality Sensor and Air Filtration, Keyless Access, Smart Entry, Pushbutton Ignition, a Bluetooth HandsFreeLink, Siri Voice Recognition, Power Windows, and two 12Volt Power Outlets.
Media/Entertainment features include: Pandora Compatibility, HD Radio, Song By Voice, USB Audio Interface with Smartphone Integration, SMS, MMS Text Message and Email Capability.
2019 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid has a 6 year/70,000 mile limited warranty on its powertrain, a 4 year/50,000 mile limited warranty on the vehicle and a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty for Acura Total Luxury Care (TLC) with Roadside Assistance.
Written August 2019
There are currently 4 primary incentives available to the California consumer that substantially lower the cost of buying or leasing an EV. CURRENT provides all the guidance or assistance you may need to apply for these incentives.